If you are using Windows 10 then obviously, you will be aware that Cortana is a digital assistant on your computer system. It will help you to execute an extended range of tasks. With the help of this feature, you can always say “Hey Cortana” to see the immediate response for virtually any concern, set reminders. You can keep track of flight, packages, calendar, and much more.
However, it’s a useful and active feature on Windows 10. When you enable Cortana, you are also permitting it to upload a copy of your voice data to the Microsoft servers every time. When you talk to the assistant on your PC, phone, and Xbox, it will automatically do it. Because this data will help the recognition engine to know about your speech patterns and in the end, an answer to your questions more accurately over time.
Microsoft has always disclosing the files or data upfront of you which is collected while using the digital assistant. But if you are not aware of it, and you think that it is not safe as per privacy concern then you can do it quickly by deleting clear your voice data and even stop the company from getting such information.
In this post, we are providing some simple steps to clear your voice recording data which the Microsoft has collected from your Cortana. With this, you will also know how you can stop uploading this data to the Microsoft servers.
Steps to delete voice data when using Cortana from the Microsoft servers:-
If you want to delete all of them or one voice data when using Cortana from the Microsoft servers then below given steps will help you. Please follow these carefully:-
- To do this, you need to open the Settings section.
- Then, you should click on the Accounts options.
- Then, you have to click on the Your info option.
- Now, click on the Manage my Microsoft account link.
- Then move to your Microsoft account online and then click on the Privacy tab.
- If prompted when you need to sign-in again using your Microsoft account details.
- Navigate to the “Privacy dashboard” page and click on the Activity history tab.
- After that, you need to go under the “Explore your data,” section and click on the Voice.
- Here a chronological list will open which will have every voice recording that has been collected every time while using Cortana on your computer system, phone, and Xbox.
- If you want to clean all these voice recording files from the Microsoft servers, then click on the Clear activity option that is placed on the top-right corner.
- You can also click on the play button to review each data.
- Then click on the Delete option to clean all of the recordings files individually.
- After completing this process, your voice recording data will be removed from the Microsoft servers, but please remember this your devices will continue to upload the future recording to your Microsoft account.
A process to stop Microsoft from collecting voice data when using Cortana:-
If you want to prevent Microsoft from getting your voice data every time which you have to talk to the Cortana then below mentioned steps would help you to complete your task.
- Open the Settings section.
- Then click on the Privacy option.
- Now, click on the Speech, inking’ and then click on the typing options.
- After that, click on the Turn off speech services and typing suggestions button.
After ensuring the above-given steps, your device will not be able to send your voice data to Microsoft.
Note- Please remember this always that when you disable the Microsoft speech and typing service, you will be not able to talk to Cortana, and the built-in user dictionary will also be cleared.
Wrapping things up:-
While a number of users can consider Microsoft is logging voice data as a privacy concern, but we want to suggest for that users; actually it is a common practice among companies to change their voice assistant services, such as- Google Assistant and Amazon’s Alexa.